I do not have OCD. I have checked, three or four hundred times, and I definitely don’t have it.
– David Mitchell
OCD is a mental illness which causes repeated thoughts or urge to do something again and again. It might be washing hands again and again or cleaning something over again even though it’s already clean, counting steps or checking on something even though nothing is changed. Some people might only have obsession or compulsion or both at times. It is beyond their own control and trying to deny it makes them cranky and frustrated. They keep trying to organize or straighten things repetitively till to the point of their satisfaction.
Though in OCD being obsessed and being compulsive can be different from each other.
Symptoms of Obsession in OCD
Obsession in OCD is very persistent and repetitive in nature. It causes images in brain which is very difficult to get out of mind. Like as in everything around you is rotting or decaying. Few people get horrible visions and thoughts and end up having panic attacks. It can based on many things, like:
– Fear of losing control in life.
– Having aggressive and unwanted thoughts.
– Fear of dirt and being unhygienic.
– Difficulty in tolerating things which are not as per their approval.
– Insecurities becoming fear in it’s most brutal way and starts controlling the person’s every thought.
Symptoms of Compulsion in OCD
Compulsion in OCD is mainly repeating the same act again and again to control the anxiety caused by obsession which controls all the thoughts in the person’s brain. The person keeps doing the same thing again and again unconsciously to stop himself/herself from thinking those thoughts which has become an obsession in mind. Compulsive nature can be based on the following things:
– Washing and cleaning repetitively.
– Keeping things in order and in symmetry.
– Checking on lights, locks or stove in kitchen .
– Doing things in a particular order to have control over things.
– Following strict routine.
– Needing reassurance again and again.
But when people go into severe mode of OCD it is difficult to handle. And that happens when the person is too stressed or scared about something. For them it seems as if they are going to lose everything and they can’t do anything about it.
OCD can’t be cured completely but can be controlled with proper therapy sessions and medication. And few people learn to control it eventually but some of their habits becomes a part of their raw nature.
I hope you liked reading this post. Please like and follow my page to get the future updates from my website and please write your suggestions below in the comment section to help me improve my posts.
Have a great day ahead.