Hello, again guys!
Today we are going to know some interesting facts about almonds. Almond is my favorite in nuts and honestly, I was amazed when I got to know that it has so many nutritious properties.
The almond is a species of tree native to Mediterranean climate region. It is also the name of the edible seed of this tree. The fruit of the almond is a drupe, consisting of an outer hull and a hard shell with the seed, which is not a true nut, inside.
Almonds range from sweet to bitter in taste. Sweet almonds are edible and are used in day to day life, while the bitter almonds are used for making oil.
February 16th is the National Almond Day and is celebrated by making almond themed deserts.
This nut is a very rich source of vitamin E, Calcium, Phosphorus, Iron, and Magnesium. Contains Zinc, Selenium, Copper, and Niacin as well.
Per 100 grams of almonds contains:
Energy: 2408 kJ (576 Calories)
- Strengthen the immune system
- Regulates cholesterol
- Prevents heart disease and heart attacks
- Controls blood sugar levels and prevents diabetes
- Healthy brain function
- Helps in weight loss
- Prevents overeating
- Increases digestive health
- Maintains and rejuvenates skin health
- Fights cancer and inflammation
- Maintains dental and bone health due to the presence of phosphorus in it.
The rich source of protein, potassium, vitamin E and folic acid helps in maintaining the health of the heart. And as almond contains riboflavin and L-carnitine, it helps to create new neural pathways in the brain. Which is why it is very beneficial for the brain development of children. It also helps in reducing the risk of Alzheimer disease in adults.
Regular intake of almonds increases HDL (high-density lipoprotein) cholesterol and reduces LDL (low-density lipoprotein) cholesterol in adults which balances the good and healthy cholesterol level in the body.
- Almond milk- People who are lactose intolerant usually use almond milk as a substitute.
- Almond butter- Not only almond butter is good for health, it tastes amazing if added while cooking.
- Almond flour- Adding almond flour in normal flour makes it very healthy and nutritious.
- Almonds are added as whole or in form of sliced flakes in desserts like cakes, cookies, chocolates, etc.
- Almond syrup
- Almond oil- It is used in cooking as well as skin and hair care products.
- Also, almonds are roasted and coated with sugar or dated syrup or any other sweet base and are consumed as a snack in many countries.
So it is recommended to eat at least 5-6 almonds per day every morning by soaking it overnight.
If this article was useful to you and if you liked it then please click the like button below and follow my page for further updates.
Have a great week ahead guys.